But they are also startling to me, because they make me realize how extremely quickly the time is passing.
Some days can't end soon enough....
But others, I wish I could just stop the hands of time and hold my children right where they are and not let them grow any bigger.....ah, if only.
Porter's birthday was one such startling day for me....how could seven years have passed so quickly?
I remember this scene well, like it was yesterday. This was what our backyard looked like 2 days before Porter was born...January of 2004....the snow fall was record breaking, the power was out in our house, we were FREEZING! And Colby was in the backyard trying to clear a pathway for the dog in the deep, deep snow.

But, that cold, cold winter didn't stop the warmth in our hearts as we welcomed all 5 pounds and 4 ounces of Porter into our family! He wasn't very big, but he filled our home with sweetness! We were especially relieved to have him healthy and strong, since he had kept us on our toes for the previous four weeks before he was born. He stopped growing much, and I had to go to the doctor's office several times a week for non-stress tests, just to make sure he was still okay. Working in the NICU didn't help my nerves much, and Dr. Hartman and I finally decided we had had enough of this game....so I was induced at 37 weeks....and a few hours later, much to our relief, we had a healthy, although tiny, sweet baby boy.
With a very loving and attentive big sister! Korinne could never get enough of him, and she would sit in the recliner for hours just holding him and watching Blues Clues....so sweet! I would love to say that this loving and doting relationship has carried on to this day...but let's keep it real people...
Since it was Porter's 7th birhday, it's fitting that the celebrations should last a whole week, right?!
Then, on his actual, special day....I checked him out of school and took him to lunch (he thought I was the coolest mom ever....naturally!)
With a very loving and attentive big sister! Korinne could never get enough of him, and she would sit in the recliner for hours just holding him and watching Blues Clues....so sweet! I would love to say that this loving and doting relationship has carried on to this day...but let's keep it real people...
Since it was Porter's 7th birhday, it's fitting that the celebrations should last a whole week, right?!We started with a combined party with Grandpa Dave, since their birthdays are so close together.
Then, we had our own little party at Chuck E'Cheese's of course!
Porter ordered a dragon cake, so I did my best to deliver....
And, got his approval....thankfully!
1. His contagious, charming smile!
2. Sooo sweet and concerned about others!
3. His determination to do his best at everything he tries.
4. He loves to be by my side....anytime.
5. He still gives me hugs when I come to the school, even in front of his friends!
6. So quick to forgive.
7. A peacemaker in any situation.
Happy birthday my sweet boy!! Let's not let this next year pass us by too quickly!




No comments:
Post a Comment