Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Our" children?

I LOVED the visiting teaching message for October, called "Nurture the Rising Generation". It is a stark reminder of our responsibility to our children. They have been reserved for these Latter Days and, as Elder Neal A. Maxwell put it..."they must now be preserved....and prepared for their special moment in human history!" We have a great responsibility to prepare them, to give them those opportunities to strengthen their testimonies so they will be strong, and spiritually prepared for all that is to come.
I especially loved the quote from President Gordon B. Hinkley: "Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these His little ones..." What a stark reminder to me of who these children are! It totally changed my perspective in how I care for these children, because, ultimately, they aren't really mine, they are His.
I am far from perfect, and I make mistakes in my mothering daily. But it is my hope and prayer that I can raise them in a pleasing manner to Heavenly Father...because that is my duty and responsibility. I'm humbled that He has trusted me with them while on this earth.

No comments: